Forum Categories

Hang out, sip some iced tea, and shoot the breeze with AG regulars.
superjawes

Sorry I'm late! (I don't really use Slack.)

We can add/change categories later, right? I'd go with minimal large buckets to begin with, then just spin off if thing get big enough to justify their own subforums. For example, I'd like a place for Sports, but that's fine in "Everything Else" for now.
morphine
Site Admin

You'll find my suggestions below. I'm all for having as few forums as necessary, and always keep in mind that threads themselves are a subcategory. For example, Tales from IT can probably be a thread in the Back Porch. Please advise, we want to get this ball rolling.

--

Hardware
- Computer hardware and system building
- Phones, tablets, and laptops
- Storage, NAS, backups
- Home theater / AV / music gear and production
- Folding and mining

Software
- Apps and applications
- Operating systems
- Development

Hobbies and interests
- Gaming
- Music, movies and shows
- Pets
- Vehicles, planes, and mopeds
- Photography
- Food
- Sports and outdoor activities
- Science and tech

Odds and Ends
- Back Porch
- Hot deals, sales, and swaps
- AG BBQ
- Politics, religion, and Apple
- Le Quovid Dix-neuf
- Forum overlording and support
idchafee

I'm probably in a minority with this, but the fewer the subforums, the better. Especially with what will initially be a much smaller user base than we're used to. With that many forums and so few users, you will be bound to have to very dead forums
JustAnEngineer

Agreed. Threads can serve where sub-forums were used on a larger site.
"If there's no time for fun, Doc, then what are we saving the planet for?"
DiMaestro

Start with two. Backporch and IT.

Expand as needed. It's easier to start simple and add complexity as needed. As the mods of those two categories see a need to expand, it's pretty simple to add another category.

This has a few advantages, it keeps the original group of posters tight, allows customization as needed, and most importantly doesn't have dead spaces, which makes it seem more active and attractive to people.

Use threads to separate categories to find out what people want, and then act accordingly.
Uncultured Swine.