RAID is not a backup, but are snapshots?

Note: RAID is not a backup solution!
Slash/

I thought it was an interesting discussion topic, even if the new TrueNAS message boards leave a bit to be desired.

For what it's worth, I've held on to the FreeBSD-based TrueNAS Core until now. Even after the "final" 13.3 release, which is solid but slightly stripped down, I wanted to stay BSD, I guess for old time's sake and because it's always been a pillar of stability. I switched my backup TrueNAS Core system over to Scale Dragonfish in the update page, let it do its thing, and the upgrade worked fine. After a few test transfers and taking a look around at the new reporting and info pages, and liking the more detailed graphs and info, I switched my main NAS over as well. It even had a Debian VM (my Proxmox Backup Server) that moved over mostly fine - there was some network interface renumbering in the new VM, and I couldn't quite Linux my way through it, so I created a new VM and attached the old Vdisks.

Guess I could add that in addition to the all around slightly better UI in Scale, it shaved 4-5W off idle power consumption, from 61-62W down to 56-57W. I was surprised by this. E3-1270v6, 64GB ECC, 4x4TB HGST 7200rpm SATA, 2x400GB Toshiba/Dell Hawk SSD SATA, 280GB 900P Optane, X550-T2, X11SSH-F IPMI, 5x120mm PWM fans.

I finally accepted that iX was putting all future effort into Scale over Core and decided to get familiar with it. Fortunately it's a pretty minor change, and the sidegrade process went perfectly. Learning Proxmox over the last year has been more of a forced change, but pretty enjoyable anyway.
...MOSFET at the old gerbil site...
...Axl at the old Roman site...