NFL 2020

Hiking, biking, weight lifting, or sportsballing
JustAnEngineer

Week 1 had some terrible kicking. Week 2 may have returned to normal.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/wh ... n-the-nfl/
"If there's no time for fun, Doc, then what are we saving the planet for?"
superjawes

Week 3

Thursday Night Football, 9/24
Miami Dolphins at Jacksonville Jaguars

Sunday, 9/27
Houston Texans at Pittsburgh Steelers
Cincinnati Bengals at Philadelphia Eagles
San Francisco 49ers at New York Giants
Las Vegas Raiders at New England Patriots
Tennessee Titans at Minnesota Vikings
The Football Team that Plays in Washington at Cleveland Browns
Los Angeles Rams at Buffalo Bills
Chicago Bears at Atlanta Falcons
Carolina Panthers at Los Angeles Chargers
New York Jets at Indianapolis Colts
Dallas Cowboys at Seattle Seahawks
Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Denver Broncos
Detroit Lions at Arizona Cardinals

Sunday Night Football
Green Bay Packers at New Orleans Saints

Monday Night Football, 9/28
Kansas City Chiefs at Baltimore Ravens

Bumping the picks up to 5 this week. First off, I think the Colts will continue the Jets' string of misery. Next up, I like a pair of NFC West teams. The Lions and Cardinals tied in Week 1 2019, but I think this meeting ends very differently. While the Cowboys started to show promise, I think we let Russ cook them up in Seattle. I'm also picking the Chargers after they showed up against the Chiefs, holding the reigning champs back as well as any team could. We could see a Herbert slip, but the Panthers are in rebuild mode and just lost CMC. Final pick of the week is just following teams trending in opposite directions. It feels like New Orleans missed their chance (or had it interfered with), while the Packers are still in pretty good shape. Granted, the Saints will be looking for the bounce-back win at home in prime time, so hopefully it will be fun to watch.

Speaking of games to watch, I think Bills/Rams will be good, or at least informative. The Rams have handed out a couple of beatings while the Bills seem like a pretty complete team. This will be one of the first real tests for each of them. I also think Bears/Falcons could be good. Quinn & co. really need to notch a win, and they can do it against the Bears...then again, the Bears aren't just going let them have it. Best matchup of the week has to be Monday Night Football. Super Bowl MVP versus League MVP, and two of the best overall teams in the league facing down in Baltimore. Here's hoping it's a classic.
JustAnEngineer

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/299 ... es-falcons
Bears coach Matt Nagy benched Mitchell Trubisky in favor of Nick Foles with Chicago trailing by 16 points in the third quarter. Foles responded by throwing three second-half touchdown passes, including the game-winning 28-yard strike to Bears wide receiver Anthony Miller just after the two-minute warning. Foles also had touchdown passes to Allen Robinson and Jimmy Graham. He finished the game 16-for-29 for 188 yards, three touchdowns and one interception. Foles had two additional touchdown passes overturned by the officials.
superjawes

Week 3 - Results

Thursday Night Football, 9/24
Miami Dolphins 31 at Jacksonville Jaguars 13

Sunday, 9/27
Houston Texans 21 at Pittsburgh Steelers 28
Cincinnati Bengals 23 at Philadelphia Eagles 23 - TIE
San Francisco 49ers 36 at New York Giants 9
Las Vegas Raiders 20 at New England Patriots 36
Tennessee Titans 31 at Minnesota Vikings 30
The Football Team that Plays in Washington 20 at Cleveland Browns 34
Los Angeles 32 Rams at Buffalo Bills 35
Chicago Bears 30 at Atlanta Falcons 26
Carolina Panthers 21 at Los Angeles Chargers 16
New York Jets 7 at Indianapolis Colts 36
Dallas Cowboys 31 at Seattle Seahawks 38
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 28 at Denver Broncos 10
Detroit Lions 26 at Arizona Cardinals 23

Sunday Night Football
Green Bay Packers 37 at New Orleans Saints 30

Monday Night Football, 9/28
Kansas City Chiefs 34 at Baltimore Ravens 20

Wow! Heckuva ending to that game in Seattle! We also saw a lot of good stuff in Buffalo (as expected) as well as in Arizona, while the Falcons wrote another chapter about collapsing after having control of a game. There are 6 teams at 0-3 right now, but Atlanta's record must feel the worst. Oh, and Eagles and Bengals decided that neither of them were going to 0-3, so they ended with a tie.
Last edited by superjawes on Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JustAnEngineer

Joe Burrow has looked pretty good for a rookie.

The Browns finally found the results that all of that talent should produce.

Nick Foles led the Bears back to another improbable come-from-behind victory.
superjawes

Steelers at Titans: POSTPONED

A COVID outbreak among Tennesse Titans players and staff has resulted in the first postponed game of the Pandemic Season. The Minnesota Vikings--who hosted the Titans last Sunday--are also locked out of their facilities, but they have not reported any infections at this time.
superjawes

Week 4

Thursday Night Football, 10/1
Denver Broncos at New York Jets

Sunday, 10/4
Baltimore Ravens at The Washington Football team formerly known as the [REDACTED]
Los Angeles Chargers at Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Seattle Seahawks at Miami Dolphins
Minnesota Vikings at Houston Texans
New Orleans Saints at Detroit Lions
Cleveland Browns at Dallas Cowboys
Jacksonville Jaguars at Cincinnati Bengals
Arizona Cardinals at Carolina Panthers
New York Giants at Los Angeles Rams
Buffalo Bills at Las Vegas Raiders
Indianapolis Colts at Chicago Bears

Sunday Night Football
Philadelphia Eagles at San Francisco 49ers

Monday Night Football, 10/5
Atlanta Falcons at Green Bay Packers

Postponed, MOVED TO WEEK 7
Pittsburgh Steelers at Tennessee Titans

Postponed, Date/Time TBD
New England Patriots at Kansas City Chiefs

Let's keep our fingers crossed that no other teams get a COVID outbreak this week...and maybe for some luck with picks. As much as they got beat on Monday, I think Baltimore bounce back this week against the team with no name. I also think the Rams get their bounce back win against the Giants.From there, I am making the painful decision to pick against the Eagles. I like Doug Pederson, and that team has done a lot with what they have, but they have been struggling since their Super Bowl win, and things have only gotten worse without Saint Nick. Despite the injuries in SF, I think the 9ers win this one. Less risky is picking against the Falcons. They do have the potential to show up, and I suspect they will at some point in the season (barring an abrupt firing), but this game is in and against Green Bay. Finally, my riskiest pick is the Seahawks over the Dolphins. The Seahawks are without a doubt the better team, but they are traveling a long way East into Florida heat and humidity. Hoping they pull through, though.

The top game on my watch list is Colts/Bears. I really wanted to head back to my old stomping ground and see this at Soldier Field. At least it looks like it will be good. The 3-0 Bears postpone their QB woes, and my Colts are sporting one of the best defenses in the league. Patriots/Chiefs should also be good, and you could see lots of sparks in Vikings/Texans. And I guess Broncos/Jets could be fun to watch if you aren't a fan of either team and are playing some other game. Maybe we can make BINGO cards!

EDIT: PIT/TEN moved to Week 7, NE/KC also postponed due to Cam Newton's positive test result.
Last edited by superjawes on Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Egg

I happened to catch most of the Bears/Falcons at a friends this past week. The officiating was so bad.....I don't understand how there isn't outcry every week.
JustAnEngineer

With this first schedule disruption due to CoViD-19, the easy solution is to move the Titans and Steelers byes to this week from weeks 7 and 8, reschedule the week 7 Steelers-Ravens game to week 8 and have the Steelers and Titans play in week 7 instead of week 4.

The unexpected bye for the Titans and Steelers hit my fantasy team pretty hard this week, since I had Roethlisberger as starting QB and Tannehill as his backup.
superjawes

Week 4 - Results

Thursday Night Football, 10/1
Denver Broncos 37 at New York Jets 28

Sunday, 10/4
Baltimore Ravens 31 at The Washington Football team formerly known as the [REDACTED] 17
Los Angeles Chargers 31 at Tampa Bay Buccaneers 38
Seattle Seahawks 31 at Miami Dolphins 23
Minnesota Vikings 31 at Houston Texans 23
New Orleans Saints 35 at Detroit Lions 29
Cleveland Browns 49 at Dallas Cowboys 38
Jacksonville Jaguars 25 at Cincinnati Bengals 33
Arizona Cardinals 21 at Carolina Panthers 31
New York Giants 9 at Los Angeles Rams 17
Buffalo Bills 30 at Las Vegas Raiders 23
Indianapolis Colts 19 at Chicago Bears 11

Sunday Night Football
Philadelphia Eagles 25 at San Francisco 49ers 20

(Rescheduled) Monday, 10/5
New England Patriots 10 at Kansas City Chiefs 26

Monday Night Football, 10/5
Atlanta Falcons 16 at Green Bay Packers 30

Postponed, MOVED TO WEEK 7
Pittsburgh Steelers at Tennessee Titans

How about them Cowboys :lol: I was busy building desks and rearranging rooms, so I missed the whole early window and that was a funny surprise. I did get to watch most of my Colts game. Really loving that defense. I'm still not sure the offense is a huge upgrade with Rivers, but it doesn't really matter when we play defense like that.

Since last update, Pats/Chiefs got bumped to Monday Night. It is still being broadcast on CBS, so it's technically not Monday Night Football, but we do get a double header (assuming you East Coasters want to stay up late). One thing I'll be curious to see is ratings. ESPN has been struggling with MNF for quite a while, and this week creates an unexpected competitor with a non-cable network.

As some thoughts, the NFC East is now sitting at 2-12-1...and one of those teams will be hosting a playoff game. Meanwhile, the Texans are possibly the worst 0-4 team. Sure, KC, BAL, and PIT, but the Vikings were not allowed their regular practice this week, the Texans were playing at home, and they STILL lost! Their next 3 games are vs Jacksonville, at Tennessee, and vs Green Bay. If they don't beat the Jags, I can easily see an 0-7 team jettisoning B.O.B. out the airlock.
Last edited by superjawes on Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.