NFL 2020

Hiking, biking, weight lifting, or sportsballing
roncat

JustAnEngineer wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:46 pm FiveThirtyEight's ELO model likes your picks of the Dolphins (70%), Packers, (69%), Seahawks (68%), Chiefs (66%), Giants (65%) and Colts (60%). ELO likes the Browns (83%), Bills (77%) and Vikings (71%) even more, but the model and Las Vegas oddsmakers say that the up-and-coming Cardinals are underdogs (48%) in Foxboro.
Murray has a damaged wing... guess we'll see how bad it is.
superjawes

Two bits of news.

1. The Steelers/Ravens game was further postponed to Tuesday, at least for now. Any more delays and the league may consider adding a week to the season.

2. After a fresh Thanksgiving embarrassment, The Lions have finally seen enough from Matt Patricia. He exits with a 13-29-1 record (.314). For reference, predecessor Jim Caldwell ended his tenure with a 36-28 record (.563), which included 3 out of 4 winning seasons and two playoff appearances. Patricia got fired before completing his third season, and has zero playoff appearances as HC.
JustAnEngineer

So much for the idea that owners would be more understanding of teams' shortcomings during the pandemic-ravaged season. How long has it been since we've had a year where three different NFL head coaches were fired mid-season? I mean, it's usually four or five a year that leave on the Monday after the season ends, but I thought that mid-season firings were rarer than this.
"If there's no time for fun, Doc, then what are we saving the planet for?"
superjawes

Eh, you have to remember that those shortcomings are affecting all of the their opponents, though. Like in Bill O'Brien's case, he didn't just lose the first four games of 2020, but he lost to a road team that didn't get to practice because they were locked out of their facility. And that's before accounting for things like playoff performance (the Texans are the only team to have not made it to the AFC Championship during his tenure) and terrible, terrible, ego-motivated roster moves.

Like I was saying with Patricia, he didn't just have a bad 2020, but he was losing games way faster than his predecessor. By this point in 2016, Caldwell would have been 25-18 (.581) overall with one playoff appearance (and he would get a second that year). Patricia was on his way to finishing 2020 as the bottom team in the NFC North for the third straight year.

That just leaves Quinn, who maybe has a case for getting to finish the season, but his firing was a long time coming, too. It doesn't feel like he ever recovered from Super Bowl embarrassment. I definitely had him pegged as a "hot seat" coach at the start of the year. Going 0-5 sealed his fate.

Now with all that in mind, it's probably worth accounting for everyone else in the hot seat. In my mind, I've got Gase (NYJ), Nagy (CHI), and Marrone (JAC) as possible firings, but Gase is the only one in the bunch who might get the axe before closing his season. Despite the struggles in Chicago, Nagy might get to see 2021 with a "fix the offense or else" ultimatum. I'd also keep an eye on Doug Pederson in Philly. The Eagles have been sliding farther and farther since losing Frank Reich to Indy, and their only saving grace is that they play in the NFC East. It would be a really tough call to fire your Super Bowl winning coach, but if things don't change...
superjawes

Week 12 - Results

Thanksgiving Day, 11/26
Houston Texans 41 at Detroit Lions 25
Maet Llabtoof Notgnihsaw 41 at Dallas Cowboys 16

Sunday, 11/29
Miami Dolphins 20 at New York Jets 3
Arizona Cardinals 17 at New England Patriots 20
Carolina Panthers 27 at Minnesota Vikings 28
Cleveland Browns 27 at Jacksonville Jaguars 25
Tennessee Titans 45 at Indianapolis Colts 26
New York Giants 19 at Cincinnati Bengals 17
Los Angeles Chargers 17 at Buffalo Bills 27
Las Vegas Raiders 6 at Atlanta Falcons 43
San Francisco 49ers 23 at Los Angeles Rams 20
New Orleans Saints 31 at Denver Broncos 3
Kansas City Chiefs 27 at Tampa Bay Buccaneers 24

Sunday Night Football
Chicago Bears 25 at Green Bay Packers 41

Monday Night Football, 11/30
Seattle Seahawks 23 at Philadelphia Eagles 17

Wednesday, 12/1
Baltimore Ravens 14 at Pittsburgh Steelers 19
superjawes

Week 13

Thursday Night Football, 12/3
NONE - Moved because of Ravens/Steelers

Sunday, 12/6
Cleveland Browns at Tennessee Titans
Las Vegas Raiders at New York Jets
Jacksonville Jaguars at Minnesota Vikings
Cincinnati Bengals at Miami Dolphins
Indianapolis Colts at Houston Texans
Detroit Lions at Chicago Bears
New Orleans Saints at Atlanta Falcons
New York Giants at Seattle Seahawks
Los Angeles Rams at Arizona Cardinals
New England Patriots at Los Angeles Chargers
Philadelphia Eagles at Green Bay Packers

Sunday Night Football
Denver Broncos at Kansas City Chiefs

Monday, 12/7 (Reschedule)
Washington Pigskins at Pittsburgh Steelers

Monday Night Football, 12/7
Buffalo Bills at San Francisco 49ers (in Arizona!)

Tuesday, 12/8
Dallas Cowboys at Baltimore Ravens

The days are getting shorter, but COVID is making the NFL week longer...sort of. At any rate, I'm picking 4 of the teams I picked last week, and 3 of them were good, so might as well stick with 'em. The Colts were the only team among the 4 to lose last week, but they still need to beat divisional opponents, so they stay on the list. I'm also taking the Dolphins for the same reason I chose the Giants last week. The Packers should be able to handle this Eagles team. If Philly pulls out a W, it would be a very bad exposure of GB's weaknesses. I'm also picking the Chiefs because they are still the Chiefs.

Notice I did *not* take the Steelers or Raiders this week. I fully believe those teams should win against some very bad opponents, but I seriously doubt the Steelers go undefeated and the Jets winless after 17 weeks (or 18 if additional delays happen), so these games (IMO) have high spoiler potential. Maybe things go as expected, but maybe they don't.
JustAnEngineer

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/20 ... ons/games/
ELO is projecting a lot of one-sided games this week:
Chiefs 88% over the Broncos (who should have at least one QB this week)
Dolphins 85% over the Bengals (without Joe Burrow)
Steelers 85% over Washington (who may still win the NFC Least)
Vikings 83% over the Jaguars
Packers 82% over the Eagles
Seahawks 81% over the Giants
superjawes

Week 13 - Results

Thursday Night Football, 12/3
NONE - Moved because of Ravens/Steelers

Sunday, 12/6
Cleveland Browns 41 at Tennessee Titans 35
Las Vegas Raiders 31 at New York Jets 28
Jacksonville Jaguars 24 at Minnesota Vikings 27
Cincinnati Bengals 7 at Miami Dolphins 19
Indianapolis Colts 26 at Houston Texans 20
Detroit Lions 34 at Chicago Bears 30
New Orleans Saints 21 at Atlanta Falcons 16
New York Giants 17 at Seattle Seahawks 12
Los Angeles Rams 38 at Arizona Cardinals 21
New England Patriots 45 at Los Angeles Chargers 0
Philadelphia Eagles 16 at Green Bay Packers 30

Sunday Night Football
Denver Broncos 16 at Kansas City Chiefs 22

Monday, 12/7 (Reschedule)
Washington Pigskins 23 at Pittsburgh Steelers 17

Monday Night Football, 12/7
Buffalo Bills 34 at San Francisco 49ers 24 (in Arizona!)

Tuesday, 12/8
Dallas Cowboys 17 at Baltimore Ravens 34

EDIT: Told you I had a feeling...
Last edited by superjawes on Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
JustAnEngineer

The Jets fired Gregg Williams today after he sent an all-out blitz ("cover zero") against Derrick Carr and the Las Vegas Raiders yesterday to lose the game on the last play.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/look ... -ever-see/

Does that come in green?
idchafee

JustAnEngineer wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:38 pm The Jets fired Gregg Williams today after he sent an all-out blitz ("cover zero") against Derrick Carr and the Las Vegas Raiders yesterday to lose the game on the last play.
That was the dumbest defensive move I've seen since the Saints thought it would be a good idea to put a bounty on opposing players. Who was the DC who dreamed up that stupidity? Oh yeah.....