I think I'm about to get raped

If you can ride in it or on it, talk about it here
idchafee

And I'm not going to get a reach-around.

I bought a 2003 Corvette convertible in October. Great shape, 25k miles. I tooled around in it, then garaged it as the weather got bad. I took it out a few weeks ago and took it to a Corvette shop because I know nothing about this car's history. Just want it gone over, make sure the brakes are in good shape, the fluids are topped off and clean, etc.

They called today and said that all 4 tires are original (ie 18 years old), looked like the transmission fluid and the radiator fluid were as well. Its a stick shift so I didn't even know transmission fluid was necessary. He also mentioned some sort of known issue with the belt, which will require a replacement.

Ironically, the brakes are fine.

He's going to call with a price in the morning. I expect pain.

http://www.chafee.net/TR/vette1.jpg

http://www.chafee.net/TR/vette.jpg

edit: /img tag not working or did I break something?
Captain Ned

Sweet C5. That said if coolant and tranny fluids are original, it's long past time for replacement. Yes, even stick boxen are full of fluid. In the Subie world, there's a long history of competing cocktails (Subie sticks hate cold which, given where Subies live, is an issue).

18YO tires are toast, no matter how much tread. Dry-rotted to hell & back. Probably flat-spotted as well.

Put all of this in the knowledge bank for the C7 you buy in 15 years.

See if you can get a discount if you & daughter repeat the ghost pepper experiment. ;)
Fat, drunk, and stupid was always my goal.
idchafee

So they promised to call me with an estimate today - no call. Guess I'll call them tomorrow
The Egg

Beautiful car. Change the fluids, new set of tires, new belt. That stuff is to be expected though. I think you got a nice ride.
idchafee

So yeah, not getting anything done at that place.

I finally got them on the phone after 5 days of trying. They gave me a number of $8100 to fix everything they found wrong. They want to replace all the hoses, the serpentine belt (which he said was 1900), the tires (which I knew) and then replace the oil pump. I know next to nothing about cars, but I know prison rape when I feel it. I'll be giving them their $150 for the inspection, then Ill be looking elsewhere. I'm wondering if going to a Chevy dealer for an 18-year old car makes sense?
Captain Ned

A serpentine belt/ac belt kit with new tensioners and idlers is under $200.
Captain Ned

BOHICA!!
The Egg

Bah! My work has done business with that place! The owner was a deadbeat, argued with everyone, and refused to pay his bill!! Run away from there, and give them the finger for me.

Since you're in the area, have you checked out D&M Corvette on Ogden in Downers Grove? I imagine they're also expensive, but at least they're not scumbags, and they have some beautiful vintage cars in the showroom and lot to drool over.
idchafee

The Egg wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:43 pm Bah! My work has done business with that place! The owner was a deadbeat, argued with everyone, and refused to pay his bill!! Run away from there, and give them the finger for me.

Since you're in the area, have you checked out D&M Corvette on Ogden in Downers Grove? I imagine they're also expensive, but at least they're not scumbags, and they have some beautiful vintage cars in the showroom and lot to drool over.
I ended up taking it to the place I take our other cars, they've never done me dirty. New tires and a new air filter, they said everything else was fine